Oxandrolone (Anavar) was first produced back in 1962 initially for use in the medical field. In medicine, Anavar is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of clinical catabolic disorders.
Anavar is administered to patients suffering from hepatitis, severe burns, surgical trauma, wasting diseases – such as; cancer, and HIV/AIDS. Anavar is also prescribed to the elderly who experience skeletal muscle loss and frailty due to sarcopenia (aging).
Anavar has excellent bioavailability (approx. 97%). This orally administered steroid also offers high protein binding properties (between 94 and 97%). The metabolism of Anavar occurs primarily in the kidneys, although the liver also metabolises the steroid in parts.
Since the metabolism of Anavar is not concentrated in the liver, users are not exposed to high hepatotoxicity which can lead to liver-related diseases and/or liver damage.
The process of absorbing Anavar usually begins immediately after ingestion. After consumption, Anavar travels through the oesophagus down to the gut. The absorption of Oxandrolone starts-off when the drug reaches the body’s gastrointestinal tract. Optimal concentrations of Anavar can then be found in the bloodstream and skeletal muscle tissues within just one hour of use.
Anavar has an extended elimination half-life of between 9.4 and 10.4 hours in adults and 13.3 hours in the elderly. This steroid is then excreted via urine (with 28% of the drug unchanged) and feces (with 3% unchanged).
Anavar is one androgenic-anabolic steroid that is in high demand, especially by competitive athletes. This is because Anavar will not convert to the female sex hormone (estrogen) when consumed. This is one of the properties of Anavar that makes it a firm favorite amongst male users.
Feminization is a side effect that male athletes can avoid when they use Anavar. Gynecomastia or male boobs is one of the most prevalent side effects under feminization. This harsh side effect is triggered when the body’s estrogen levels are higher than normal.
Anavar is also accommodating to female users as well. This oral androgenic-anabolic steroid has low virilization side effects. To avoid unwanted masculinization side effects, female athletes can run a short Oxandrolone cycle. This should then be followed up by a pre-planned post-cycle therapy (PCT) program.
Some of the virilisation side effects that female Anavar users can avoid include:
- the deepening of their voice,
- increased facial and body hair growth,
- male pattern baldness,
- breast atrophy,
- enlargement of their clitoris, amongst many other related side effects.
Key Anavar Benefits
Anavar offers both cutting and bulking bodybuilding gains. Some of the performance enhancing benefits of using Anavar include the following:
- Anavar reduces overall body and visceral fat (e.g. abdominal fat),
- Anavar boosts nitrogen retention in the body,
- This oral steroid stimulates the rate of protein synthesis in muscle tissue by as much as 44%,
- Oxandrolone will boost skeletal muscle growth,
- Anavar enhances physical performance by increasing energy, endurance, stamina, and strength,
- Anavar replaces lost naturally occurring androgen as well as estrogen hormones,
- IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor) production in the body is significantly increased with Anavar use,
- Anavar increases skeletal muscle androgen receptor activity.